Many of you have already taken the steps you need to begin complying with the new OSHA Silica Guidelines that take effect on 9/23/17. IMCA has been hard at work on this issue as well. To date we have:
1. Worked with the International Health Fund to provide the initial health assessment and chest x-rays required under the guidelines. We are pleased to announce that they have a program in place for all of the Indiana chapters covered by the IHF. A copy of the brochure that they sent to Local 4 members in late July is attached.
2. Through the efforts of our trustees on the BAC 4 IN/KY Apprenticeship & Training board Roger Jones and the apprentice instructors have received Train the Trainer instruction on the new silica guidelines.
3. We are working with our attorney to craft an acknowledgement form that you can use to document that you have made your employees aware of the new guidelines and offered them the preliminary health assessment and chest x-ray through the IHF. This will be sent to you in a separate email.
4. One of our Board Members who is a trustee on the Merrillville H&W Program is leading the effort to make the preliminary health assessment and chest x-ray available through their H&W program.
5. We will continue to work with the IHF and Merrillville H&W to administer the program on an ongoing basis.
6. At the appropriate time we will reopen the SUA to get language in the current contract to protect our contractors as much as possible on this issue.
Resources You Can Use
Here is a good recap of the new silica guidelines and the responsibilities it places on you, the contractor: Read Article
If you would like information on training our Apprentice Program can provide on the new silica guidelines BAC 4 IN/KY Apprenticeship & Training Program
Here is information on the importance of the Respirable Silica Exposure Policy which is required on every job site Create Policy
For a summary of Questions and Answers about the new OSHA Silica Guidelines Silica Q&A
For a more in-depth coverage of the new OSHA Silica Guidelines The Full Story
For information about MCAA’s Train the Trainer Program (They have a program in Indy on 12/12/17) MCAA Train the Trainer
We will keep you updated as more information becomes available.